Theme 1 : Taking teaching as the core
- Based on a triple helix approach which includes academia, industry and government’s joint effort, experts in long-term care institutions, optometric industry, food and beverage industry, and pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing industry are invited to provide practice-based micro-credit lectures. The goal is to minimize the gap between academics and industries.
- Renowned scholars and experts in respective professions from home and abroad are invited to deliver speeches in our school. We also encourage students and teachers to go abroad to accumulate practical experience and broaden their horizons. Thus, students’ breadth and depth of learning in different professions can be expanded.
- Basic lectures such as calculus, chemistry and physics are provided to build students’ basic understanding, beneficial to pave their way to take on advanced lectures. Up to 86% of students stated that basic lectures prove to be effective in learning after lessons.
Theme 2 : Developing university features
- We built a smart medical teaching facility, a medical imaging center, an optometric center, a pathological clinical research and a teaching center. Besides, we brought in an MRI equipment, a Wave Analyzer Medica 700 wavefront aberrometer, and a professional pathological tissue dissector equipment of the same class as hospitals. Top-notch medical conferences were also held in which participants from Japanese cabinet health tactics officer and acclaimed scholars in the cell therapy profession were invited. Their informative talks are the building blocks of our students’ theoretical concepts and clinical experiences.
- We built a smart pet care and beauty laboratory. Received the permit from the Ministry of Labor, we’re the first educational facility that becomes a test center for pet grooming test in Taoyuang, Hsinchu and Miaoli cities.
- We created a smart educational management system and a smart recognition device to effectively manage human and educational resources.
Theme 3: Making resources more public
- We combine co-learning and career counseling. Counselors are also co-learning teachers. We arrange career counselors, global career development facilitators, counseling psychologists or social workers for students to receive one-on-one career guidance to be more competitive in the job market.
- We completed the “Integrated Higher Education Cross-Industry Research Database (IR database).” Multiple research has been conducted to support administrative decisions with scientific approaches.
Theme 4: Fulfilling social responsibility
- We provide mobile local-based services including food safety voluntary teams, healthcare services team, and optometric free treatment group. These groups visit places like elementary or junior high schools or remote areas to voluntarily offer medical help for local residents. YUMT was the only approved university in Taiwan in the 2019 PASCAL International Observatory under the UNESCO(Organization for Local and Social Capital and Learning). YUMT is recognized for contributing greatly to the local and demonstrating social responsibility. The report stated that “YUMT is impressive in promoting social responsibility and social cohesion as a college.
- We create a professional and healthy image for YUMT. Meanwhile, to keep our leading position in the health industry, annual health management seminars and health industry seminar and industry exchange exhibitions are held every year. YUMT successfully has a say in health development.
Strengthen Students’ Abilities on Practical Research
To cultivate students’ core competence and spur their interests and confidence in learning, we hold relevant project competitions in which theories and practices are integrated. Students can fully utilize their practical knowledge as well as their research capabilities in doing projects.
Invite Experts From Different Fields to Take Part in Designing Lectures
We invite experts from relevant professions to teach our students, teachers can accumulate practical teaching experience; boost teaching efficiency and design effective lectures. This way, students are more motivated and proactive when it comes to learning. It also helps them to absorb up-to-date knowledge about the industry or clinical practice, so as to connect students with the industry and enhance their professional skills, real-life experiences and competitiveness in the workplace.
English Remedial Lessons
We hold an “Intensive English Courses Camp” which adopts a progressive teaching method, allowing students to rebuild their confidence in English. Teachers then actively pick teaching materials that incorporate practicability and current events. They also provide students with more exercise in their spare time. Therefore, students’ interest and ability will both increase. As for the new TOEIC, we also hold seminars on “Tips to Score High on the New TOEIC” for teachers and students respectively to help students score higher and gain a footing when job hunting.
Broaden Students’ Horizon
YUMT provides opportunities for students to gain overseas experiences. By igniting students’ motivation toward new challenges, they can reevaluate who they really are and grow through the process. Visiting our sister schools is beneficial for students to elevate their professional knowledge and cultural literacy. They’d further embrace the importance of respect and diverse cultures; hence orient themselves with independent thinking and problem-solving skills. At the end of the day, we’re able to foster a more amicable friendship with our sister schools and bring more exchanges between us.
Setting up Different Courses on Problem-Solving Using Program According to Students’ Professional Background
Eighteen different “Program Design” courses are designed for students from various departments, guiding students to excel program design from easy to advanced levels. Innovative teaching methods and digital learning tools are combined to increase students’ interest in programming and to recognize the importance of programming in today’s information society. Moreover, we held a “Program Design in Biomedical Engineering Competition and Programming Logic Exhibition.” The goal is to fuel students’ creativity and they can apply what they’ve learned to improve their performance.
Offer Required Courses of Diversity, Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Courses of diversity, innovation and entrepreneurship are set to provide a platform for students to develop innovation skills and entrepreneurship. Courses are pretty diverse, including an introduction to brainstorming, mind mapping, writing a business plan for an innovative business, or making a crowdfunding film. These all equip students with sufficient skills in the job market.
Graduates’ Future Development and Employers’ Satisfaction Level Survey
Knowing which paths graduates take on and employers’ satisfaction level allow YUMT to know students’ salary and how they perform in the job market. We’ll run statistics and analyze the results to evaluate students’ learning progress and future developments. These are used as references to alter lesson planning and talents cultivating to enhance students’ competitiveness.
Annual Academic Seminars and International Medical and Health Forum are held
We hosted numerous academic feasts including the “2019 Health Management Conference,” the “International Forum on Cutting-edge Medical Sciences,” and the “2019 Forum on Cross-Strait Higher Education Health Management.” Distinguished experts and scholars were invited from Taiwan, Japan, the US, Indonesia and China to share their wisdom with students, further boosting the collaboration and exchange between institutions and industries from home and abroad. These vibrant ties prompt more academic exchanges between various parties so as to build a more forward-looking and macro prospect.
Establish the YUMT Optometric Center
This optometric center is characterized by the combination of future trends such as AI (Artificial Intelligence), and big data with the current eyesight techniques, offering more comprehensive care for one’s eyesight. Aside from glasses, the center is equipped with the Wave Analyzer Medica 700 Wavefront abberometer. It only takes two minutes to complete an eye exam. Thanks to the center, students will be able to further integrate the theories learned in the school with the practical situations in the market. They can become professionals with both theoretical and clinical experiences. Therefore, they can easily land on a job once they graduate.
Medical Profession Educational Experience
We combined the “Leadership Service Learning Center” and the “YUMT Medical Experience Center.” Various medical experience camps have been held. Not only can participants better understand the medical profession, they can also develop proper basic medical knowledge. Moreover, they can respect, show empathy, care and love for all kinds of life through these experiences.
Pet Care Educational center
We’ve built a pet grooming laboratory, and we received an evaluation from the Skill Evaluation Center of Workforce Development Agency Ministry of Labor. Passed to become the “Pet beauty technician” certification test center, the YUMT becomes one of the ten qualified pet beauty test centers, and it’s also the first educational institution set to become a pet beauty test center in Taoyuang Hsinchu and Miaoli cities.
Traditional Remedies Talent Bootcamp
To develop and upgrade the traditional osteopathic manipulative profession, we’ve set a test center for the “traditional osteopathic manipulative therapy.” We passed the evaluation by the Skill Evaluation Center of Workforce Development Agency Ministry of Labor in 2019, thus we can better cultivate talents in this regard and encourage professionals to get the certificate.
After-School Tutoring: Co-Learning Program
YUMT is dedicated to providing after-school programs for students. The core value of tutoring is “learning.” Therefore, students can focus on learning, all programs are aimed to evaluate students’ learning progress and enhance their competitiveness in the job market. Meanwhile, the leader of the co-learning program can develop leadership capacity, responsibility and adaptability. Students who participate in this program can as well develop self-discipline. This way, students who are economically or culturally less privileged can focus on their studies. Through accumulating learning points, they’re able to apply for scholarships once they meet the requirements. While learning, they’re also equipped with professional skills. Thus, a positive loop is created.
Mobile Optometric Services in Local Community
We care deeply about local residents’ eyes conditions, and it’s imminent to raise the public’s awareness of optometric care. YUMT provides professional community optometry and on-site consulting services. An eye exam involves a series of tests including visual acuity test, computerized slit-lamp examination, macular check, nearsightedness and farsightedness. We fully capitalize on our advantages as a medical school, providing only the best services for our community.
Health Consulting and Public Health Service Activities
We held health consulting and public health service activities in Siangshan District, Hsinchu. Doctors from the YUMT Health Clinic are sent to the community to explain personal health reports and provide public health services, so as to effectively help the public understand, manage and take better care of their health.
USR (University Social Responsibility) and the Health Improvements Status Report Presentation
We held the USR program and the health improvement status report presentation. We’ve combined resources from academia, government and industry. Through the USR program, the integrated community health care model was established. We’ve implemented it in 41 communities in Hsinchu City. Meanwhile, the cross-regional healthy aging program was also promoted. The integrated community health care improvements enable residents to grow old healthily in their community.
511 Health Lohas Day
We held the 511 Health Lohas day for 511 in Taiwanese pronounces like the word“meaningful.” This celebration is well-received by the government, academia and industry with more than 20 public associations and businesses supporting and co-hosting this event. More than a thousand people participated in this event, jointly bringing the health industry and the coming of the aging society to the spotlight. Besides, we also showed the results of Lohas activities and the Higher Education Sprout Project put forward by the Ministry of Education concurrently. Moreover, we also listed concrete results of “Healthy Hsinchu County” and “Five-Point Food Safety Policies.”
Smart Healthy Surroundings
Guan-Han Lohas building and the Precision workout center are completed and open to residents. These institutions’ facilities are upgraded, aiming to train the elderly’s muscle and physical fitness. We’ve also developed relevant practical training courses so students can accumulate experiences in these centers.